Masculine Feminine Interior Design: How To Combine The Two | Décor Aid

Décormag

Decoding A Mix Of Masculine Feminine Interior Design

masculine feminine interior design guide

Though there’s long been a debate on what makes furnishings and décor appear feminine or masculine (if that even exists – it’s hard to define), we’re not here to touch on that hot-button issue. Instead, we’re looking at the best ways to combine the two for rooms that are rich and varied with diverse references and silhouettes. Whether you’re looking at masculine feminine interior design cues for quick eclectic room refreshes or if you’ve just moved in with a loved one, here’s sage advice on combining the two theories together seamlessly.

Ultimately, the goal is to have an eclectic mix so unique to you that it will all at once appear gender fluid together.

Make It Yours Together

masculine feminine interior design ideas to try

As we’ve all been into rooms or even entire homes that seem to be overwhelmingly masculine or completely feminine in spirit, a great rule of thumb to follow when trying to incorporate two different styles is to look past those masculine feminine interior design differences and communicate exactly what you both want, don’t want, and are willing to experiment with.

Do Use The 80/20 Rule of Thumb

masculine feminine interior design advice

Well-known in the interior design world, the 80/20 rule translates that as long as 80% of your furnishings are unified then you can get away with deviating with the other 20%. For example, the only things that aren’t in a traditional Parisian aesthetic in the room above are the sofas, chaise lounge, coffee table, and artwork. However, the rest of the room is unified in more traditional, antiquated décor. But who gets dibs on the 80% and who gets the 20%? That all depends on the mix of furnishings you’ve already got and are willing to work with and what you are willing to purchase and part with.

Split As much As Possible

masculine feminine interior design how to

Though it can be easier said than done, the key to cohesive room’s full of personality shared by couples is to add touches of both of you. Consider it a fun editing practice as you’ll get to share what makes certain design objects special for you when looking to incorporate both of your belongings as masculine feminine interior design should never be a one sided story.

Bring In Different Textures

masculine feminine interior design

As you’re working to combine most likely two varied design tastes, keep the eye moving throughout a room by bringing in different textures, finishes, and materials to avoid having the eye hone in on that heirloom grandfather clock your spouse insists on displaying. This is also a great way to highlight masculine feminine interior design juxtapositions as various textiles will also work to create a cozier, lived-in atmosphere.

Get Sentimental

masculine feminine interior design rules

Do share highlights and trophies from your past as well as signifiers of your relationship together for a rich sense of personality and history that will tell both of your stories.

Compromise & Simplify Your Color Scheme

masculine feminine interior design styles combined

Whatever your personal color scheme preferences are, we suggest sticking to a core neutral and deciding on which complimentary hues you’d like to add for a total of three key colors per room as they’ll work to tie everything together.

Think of it as one color option for each of you(just be sure they work together). Another trick that will also help you get longer use of furnishings when considering masculine feminine interior design is to opt for darker pieces – think the deepest finishes of wood and matte black, as they’ll never go out of style and will add a sense of balance to any room.

Images via Pinterest

Decoding A Mix Of Masculine Feminine Interior Design

masculine feminine interior design guide

Though there’s long been a debate on what makes furnishings and décor appear feminine or masculine (if that even exists – it’s hard to define), we’re not here to touch on that hot-button issue. Instead, we’re looking at the best ways to combine the two for rooms that are rich and varied with diverse references and silhouettes. Whether you’re looking at masculine feminine interior design cues for quick eclectic room refreshes or if you’ve just moved in with a loved one, here’s sage advice on combining the two theories together seamlessly.

Ultimately, the goal is to have an eclectic mix so unique to you that it will all at once appear gender fluid together.

Make It Yours Together

masculine feminine interior design ideas to try

As we’ve all been into rooms or even entire homes that seem to be overwhelmingly masculine or completely feminine in spirit, a great rule of thumb to follow when trying to incorporate two different styles is to look past those masculine feminine interior design differences and communicate exactly what you both want, don’t want, and are willing to experiment with.

Do Use The 80/20 Rule of Thumb

masculine feminine interior design advice

Well-known in the interior design world, the 80/20 rule translates that as long as 80% of your furnishings are unified then you can get away with deviating with the other 20%. For example, the only things that aren’t in a traditional Parisian aesthetic in the room above are the sofas, chaise lounge, coffee table, and artwork. However, the rest of the room is unified in more traditional, antiquated décor. But who gets dibs on the 80% and who gets the 20%? That all depends on the mix of furnishings you’ve already got and are willing to work with and what you are willing to purchase and part with.

Split As much As Possible

masculine feminine interior design how to

Though it can be easier said than done, the key to cohesive room’s full of personality shared by couples is to add touches of both of you. Consider it a fun editing practice as you’ll get to share what makes certain design objects special for you when looking to incorporate both of your belongings as masculine feminine interior design should never be a one sided story.

Bring In Different Textures

masculine feminine interior design

As you’re working to combine most likely two varied design tastes, keep the eye moving throughout a room by bringing in different textures, finishes, and materials to avoid having the eye hone in on that heirloom grandfather clock your spouse insists on displaying. This is also a great way to highlight masculine feminine interior design juxtapositions as various textiles will also work to create a cozier, lived-in atmosphere.

Get Sentimental

masculine feminine interior design rules

Do share highlights and trophies from your past as well as signifiers of your relationship together for a rich sense of personality and history that will tell both of your stories.

Compromise & Simplify Your Color Scheme

masculine feminine interior design styles combined

Whatever your personal color scheme preferences are, we suggest sticking to a core neutral and deciding on which complimentary hues you’d like to add for a total of three key colors per room as they’ll work to tie everything together.

Think of it as one color option for each of you(just be sure they work together). Another trick that will also help you get longer use of furnishings when considering masculine feminine interior design is to opt for darker pieces – think the deepest finishes of wood and matte black, as they’ll never go out of style and will add a sense of balance to any room.

Images via Pinterest

Luxurious Design Has Never Been So Affordable

Meet your interior designer at your home
BOOK YOUR FREE IN-HOME CONSULTATION